Monday, September 8, 2008

Taichung again

So once again I headed to Taichung this weekend. I was in the mood for some retail therapy. I was also in the mood for buffalo wings. I experienced my first shopping mall after arriving early in Taichung. It was stupidly crowded and reminded me more of a market than a shopping centre. There were also movies playing, so at least I know where to go when I want to see a movie. David and I met up and ended up taking the long way to Taichung Park home of a huge goat family (statue). The park was nice despite being within walking distance of Central Taichung the park was very serene. There was a huge bunch of kids doing something I'm still not sure what there was much screaming, jumping and laughing. After that we dawdled around and found a huge shopping mall. All it sold was clothes, jewellry and more clothes. Very disappointing. We did manage to find a music store on the way to TGI Fridays and I found the cd of the chinese singer I like (although I already had that cd but still).

TGI Friday's was a great experience. David says they were American prices and admittedly it was the first meal I'd payed over $500 nt for but really that wasn't much considering the amount of food I had. I ordered a full plate of buffalo wings and a bowl of fries and a milkshake. The waiting staff there was awesome most spoke English and spent alot of time around our table teaching us (well mostly David) various Chinese words. When we left every single waitress there came to say goodbye and one came running and asked when we were coming back and said that if we came at certain times she would be able to help us with our Chinese which was really friendly of her.

We then dawdled back towards the train station finding King Wang's Bakery on the way.

This morning I was meant to meet up with a social worker (YiChen) from my old home to take me on a visit. Unfortunately I decided to first go get some travellers cheques cashed which was fine and then proceeded to walk away in the wrong direction. After a while of walking I asked in my broken way which way the train station was and got pointed in the direction I was walking...so I kept going. It was about 20 minutes later that I realised my mistake. By then I was due to meet YiChen so I called her up and she managed to come find me and take me to the home.

Daniel A Poling's Babies Home is a lot bigger than I first imagined. The staff there was amazing, all very friendly. Many of the kids I saw today were special needs and unable to go to school. I also saw some of the little babies (1-2 years old) who were adorable. One girl loved playing with my watch. Cameras weren't allowed in with the babies but they were welcomed everywhere else.

One volunteer there studied in America and has travelled a lot of the world. She lives in Taipei and comes and volunteers a few days a week. She offered to be my guide in Taipei whenever I make it there. Everyone was very accomodating and said I was welcome to come back any time.

They gave me lunch and we discussed my family and what I'm doing in Taiwan I showed them the old photos I had of the Home and they told me my chinese name meant "beautiful piano". All in all it was a very special few hours and I look forward to visiting again soon.

I then got dropped back at the bus stop and decided that I wanted to explore more. I wandered around places I'd not yet been to and stumbled upon a musical instrument store. The guy spoke English and gave me a decent deal on a basic guitar so I took it.

While I was waiting for my bus two people came around with key rings trying to raise money. I gave the 100 NT and they were so grateful it was embarrassing. I think they spent a good minutes saying thankyou. Today I got off the bus in an area I actually knew which was nice.

I missed the garbage trucks and was slightly peeved as I haven't thrown out any rubbish since being here so I was going to go try and follow the trucks and dump the stuff when I stumbled upon a load of rubbish in the stairwell. I honestly don't know if it's allowed to be there but as I don't know where the main rubbish bin in for my apartment building I followed suite and dumped my rubbish there.

All in all I think this weekened went well and apparently my health check is back so the paperwork can commence tomorrow hopefully. yay I will eventually be legal.

No comments: