Friday, September 5, 2008

JhuShan Night market

Tonight after work Amy took all the teachers to the JhuShan night market which is literally minutes away. It wasn't as busy as the Taichung Night Markets but it was still really interesting to watch.

There she ordered many seafood dishes for us to eat and she also tried to get us to drink the Taiwanese beer (which she didn't consider alcoholic). The beer was served in Foster mugs. I don't know if it was Fosters and I honestly can't remember what that tastes like. This beer did taste slightly sweeter than the stuff back home. I had a few sips to be polite.

The food was great although my lip decided to swell up, I'm guessing it was the clams as most of the other stuff I've had before whereas I honestly can't remember the last time I had clams...if I have ever had clams.

It's finally starting to go back down now, hopefully it will be ok for tomorrow.

Today I had a lot of fun teaching. I try and keep the classroom energised which means often making a fool of myself (something I'm quite good at doing). Sometimes I get them a bit too energised. I got told at least one of todays classes may have been too noisy. While it's ok with Amy if the student goes home and says to the parent it was too noisy we could have problems. So I guess once again I'm going to need to tone it down.

Today one of my students almost got her head stuck in her desk. Amazingly enough not the class I got told was too noisy. Needless to say my classroom management skills could do with some improvement.

I went to the bank today to see if I could cash some travellers cheques. I tried this particular bank because it had 'foreign exchange' signs out front. That to me suggests they change foreign currency...such as travellers cheques. Err no, apparently I will need to go to Nantou to do that. It's not really important I still have enough money and my 2 visas which I've yet to use I just thought while I had the time I'd give it a shot. Maybe I'll cash some in Taichung on Monday.

This weekend will be spent in Taichung. Sunday I'm gonna meet up with David and I guess we'll just wander around. I still want to find some chinese music and I think he's interested in finding a Chinese school. Monday I've arranged a visit with the Taichung orphanage I once called home. I'm really looking forward to that.

The weather has actually been mild the past 2 days. We've even had thunderstorms. It still doesn't get below 18 but still it's nice to not be dying in the heat. Whether this 'cool' change stays is another story.

Anyway I need to go get some sleep and read my book.

No comments: