Sunday, September 14, 2008

Jade 1 Typhoon 0

So the typhoon didn't really hit JhuShan, I mean there was rain and a lot of it but that was the extent of it, the wind really more than a breeze. Although I saw on the news that in other places the damage was a lot more severe.

Today's classes were pretty easy, one of them got cancelled as none of the students wanted to go out in the 'typhoon'. I think my GEPT classes are coming to an end at the end of this month which is a shame as I'm actually kinda liking them....well the oral one at least the vocab one there is just too much stuff to get through that I really can't play games it's straight drill then cd work which kinda sucks but it's easy for me to prepare.

After work Amy invited me to her husband's parents place for a barbecue which I jumped at the opportunity for as they are so revered here. It was actually pretty cool the food was great although it seems maybe I'm allergic to more than clams as I once again had a slight swelling of the lip this time I think maybe from the shrimp.

The thing that interested me the most though was the size of the barbeque they were cooking on. I'm used to the barbies in OZ which is the bigger the better, here though the bbqs were well nothing more than like portable grills. Itsy bitsy little things that we might take camping...actually some people take bigger things camping than these bbqs.

I had a moon cake...a proper one which was a little like mince pies except I'm pretty sure there was some actual meat in it...still it wasn't horrible, although I prefer the other festive desserts better.

So now I have experienced a typhoon and a moon festival bbq..quite an achievement I think.

No comments: