Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bypass

Apart from my teaching books I bought only one English book with me. It wasn't a desert island book it wasn't even one I'd read even a line from. It was a book I bought for a few bucks at a used book sale. The book was called Bypass:The story of a road by Michael McGirr. I was meant to use it for reading material on the plane but never did in fact it has been sitting unused for the past 2 weeks until Monday night I happened to notice it and started reading.

I think bringing that book was one of the best decisions I made. It's an Australian book not just about Australia but written in a very Australian way. Most of the humour would be lost on a non-Aussie. It is a story about the Hume Highway. It's techincally non-fiction however it's not the dry nonfiction you mostly get. It follows the decision of an overweight, 40 something to cycle the entire hume highway (from Sydney to Melbourne) on a cheap bike. But it also weaves in the development of the road and many little stories about people and places that have been affected by this road.

Each chapter starts with a bumper sticker slogan.

I'm rationing my reading so I can savour it as much as possible. Afterwards I think I'm going to force it upon various people here just because it is so great.

I've been re-engergised and today I walk into my classes with a heap of new game options thanks to the WWW.

I tried VoIP busters today and loved it. Free calls to landlines in Australia nothing better! I can also call American landline and mobiles and a heap of other places for free so yeah I may just start calling random people for the hell of it. At least then my English won't get rusty!

Ok gotta go eat and then teach.....bring on the weekend. Only 3 more days and the rest of today til my next weekend heh

No comments: