Monday, August 25, 2008

A night in Taichung

So it is Monday morning and I'm due to meet up with my agent in about 30 minutes but i just wanted to jump on and write a bit more (the internet addict in me needs its feed). So after writing that essay last night I wandered back into the hotel and bumped into David again thus sparking a major conversation from two Englsh starved individuals. Not having to work the next day we chatted happily in the lobby for hours just about random stuff, I talked about my limited teaching experiences and he talked about his dreadful job hunt. Unlike me he can speak a little Mandarin which came in handy when we decided to ditch the lobby in search of a night market. Asking directions was interesting as David would ask something in his broken Mandarin while I stood behind with a map. The locals would automatically turn to me and start spouting directions in Mandarin to which I would stare back with a bewildered look and point back to David.

We eventually found the nightmarket and were overwhelmed by the sights and smells. i smelt stinky tofu for the first time and was automatically disgusted, we saw pig liver and intestines and loads of other local delights. The adventurer in me was done for the night so we settled on grabbing some chicken (although I think mine may hav been duck).

There are photos but i haven't uploaded them yet.

In David I think I've found a twin soul in this crazy place.

We stumbled home around 3 full with food and good conversation. We also discovered lemons are for the most part green here...they still make for good lemonade though.

Ok time to go get poked and prodded by a doctor and then try and find my way back to Jhushan for another round of teaching madness.

In coming posts I will talk more about the school and my teaching adventures but I'm wary to do so now as my circumstances are still quite up in the air.

Til next my wifi connects.

No comments: