Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Calm before the storm?

So for those who know me I've been tossing up teaching overseas for a while now. Early this year I started the ball rolling by enrolling in a TESOL course with Teach International. After quite a few months and much assistance I managed to receive my Certificate III in TESOL late last week. After about 3 months of job hunting I've decided the only thing for it is to just go to a country and find one when I'm on the ground. My destination choice: Taiwan. So yesterday I walked into a flight centre to discuss airfare options and walked out about 30 minutes later having arranged it all. I fly out just after Midnight on the 18th which gives me about a week and a half to get everything ready....doable...right.

So between now and flight time here is just a little taste of what I need to do:
Get all my certificates noterised by the Taiwanese Embassy
Go to the doctors and get all my immunisations
Go to Queen Victoria Market and other dodgy Australian Tourist shops and pick up lots of little aussie knick knacks I can give to students and other things
Organise a Taiwanese bank account...which will also mean changing my Australian back accounts
Get all my teaching stuff in gear
Learn as much as I can about Taiwan
Really Really Really try and get a handle of basic tourist Mandarin

As far as what comes after landing well I have an agent in Taiwan giving me a hand. He's organised a bus to Taichung and a hotel room for me while I job search and he'll take me to a few schools....so I'm not totally flying blind, half blind but not totally blind!

Too easy.
11 days to take off.

No comments: