Friday, October 17, 2008

Holy smoke batman is that a plane I see

hmm so tomorrow is D-day for my visa. The paperwork has been processing for over a month. I was assured by pretty much everyone it would be easy to get a residence visa within the 60 days I had with the visitor visa. Apparently not that easy.

So ok the paperwork was slow, we got a newbie who slowed everything down and went by the book 110% of the time. This my resident visa application was yet to be filed.

I informed Amy and Bryan last week of the impending expiration and in all fairness to them they did the best they could. So today Amy drove me into Nantou to the nearest immigration office to see if we could either get an extention or just start the paperwork for my arc/visa.....apparently not. ARGH?!!?!

My visa runs out tomorrow (Friday). Fortunately we have a plan b (which doesn't include me having to go out and come back in). Instead of going to immigration which is limited in its ability tomorrow I hit Foriegn affairs office in Taichung with all my paperwork including a piece of paper acknowledging my paperwork is actually being processed. Amy and Brian seem optimistic about this working.

If that doesn't work the next time I write will be from Hong Kong. Amy has however volunteered to come with me to Hong Kong which I thought was an extremely friendly gesture. She made a joke about it being a great excuse for her to go shopping something she hasn't been able to do since her son was born but still it's definitely above and beyond.

So aside from the fact that I may have to leave the country tomorrow things have been going quite well. Amy seems happy with my performance which is good. While some of my classes are still rowdy I'm getting a groove going.

I got paid the other day, I've never held so many bills with 1000 printed on them...of course they were in NT which isn't quite the same as dollars but still impressive wad of cash.

I need to figure out how tax works here which could be interesting.

I have at least a day's worth of new Taiwanese music I've yet to listen to.

No comments: